Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My 2010 walking BIGBY goal - 200 species

I've always thought it would be pretty cool to record 200 walking BIGBY species in a year, but I never thought I'd have the chance until now. So I'm setting that as my goal for 2010.

My BIGBY this year is rather unique. I birded in southern Indiana the first seven months of the year. And now I'm birding in southeastern Wisconsin after moving to Milwaukee. I had a lot of birds in southern Indiana that I'll never get here (Blue Grosbeak, Carolina Wren, Carolina Chickadee, Prairie Warbler, Bobwhite, Grouse, Turkey, etc., etc., etc.). And I've been picking up (or will pick up) species along the Milwaukee lakefront that I never had in my southern Indiana BIGBY (gulls, shorebirds, waterfowl, etc).

Watch...after having made my goal public, I'll probably find out the overlap between my two BIGBY lists is bigger than I thought, and I'll fall far short of my goal. Maybe I should have merged the two lists before announcing my goal to the world. :-)

Bernie Sloan
Bloomington, IN (January-July)
Milwaukee, WI (August-December)

No comments:

Post a Comment