My computer was in the shop for some repairs, so I haven't had much in the way of e-mail access. Just wanted to give a quick BIGBY update. I added four new 2010 Milwaukee walking BIGBY species last Thursday (10/7), bringing my Milwaukee count to 151 species. I added these four species near the beginning of my walk and had visions of a big day dancing in my head. No such luck, though...nothing new for the rest of the day. But it was still a very nice day for a walk.
Here are the new BIGBY birds:
* Fox Sparrow. Milwaukee walking BIGBY species #148. Near the entrance to Lakeshore State Park.
* Vesper Sparrow. BIGBY #149. Near the south end of Lakeshore State Park.
* Lapland Longspur. BIGBY #150. At south part of Lakeshore State Park. This was also species #197 in my 2010 "combo" BIGBY list. My goal of 200 species for 2010 isn't far from reality! (What's a "combo" BIGBY? See: http://bit.ly/a2HhKW).
* American Tree Sparrow. BIGBY #151. Saw several more of them later in my walk.
And a few non-BIGBY highlights from 10/7:
* I noticed a flock of small birds headed my way through some brush. I stood still as they approached me. They slowly foraged past me with several birds within arm's length. Golden-crowned Kinglets. They are really cute birds up close.
* It just now struck me that, for the past couple of weeks, I have been regularly seeing and hearing more Red-breasted Nuthatches than White-breasted. This is an experience I've never had before. Pretty cool!
* There were quite a few Winter Wrens out and about on Thursday. They really are mouse-like in their movements.