Friday, October 1, 2010

View from my Lake Park sparrow spot

At the very southern tip of Milwaukee's Lake Park there's a bluff filled with foxtails.

I've been checking this spot on a regular basis during migration, with fairly decent results: White-throated, White-crowned, Savannah, Song, Swamp, and Lincoln's (only one of the latter). It can be a challenging spot since you're looking down a steep hill...it's not like checking out a level plot of grasses. Sometimes there's nothing. Other times you can hear the darned birds chirping down in the foxtails, but you never really see anything. But every now and then patience pays off.

Anyway, the other day I was trying to get a visual of some chirping birds and I looked up and was struck by how beautiful this spot can be. Funny how sometimes we can be focusing on the small details of birding and miss the big picture.

Here's a photo I took with my cell phone: http://bit.ly/cyc3xS

No comments:

Post a Comment