Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rough-legged Hawk, 1/3/11 - Species #194 in my new BIGBY

The year 2010 has ended, and it's time for people to start their new 2011 lists from scratch.

But I still have a Big Green Big Year (BIGBY) underway. I moved to Milwaukee on 8/1/10. I'm now working on my "first-twelve-months-in-Milwaukee" Big Green Big Year. This BIGBY will end on 7/31/11.

Yesterday (1/3/11) I spotted a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk perched in a small tree near McKinley Beach on Milwaukee's lakefront. That's the 194th species I've found since moving to Milwaukee.

My goal is to reach 200 Milwaukee walking BIGBY species by 7/31/11. Six species to go, and seven months to do it. Sounds like a piece of cake, right? Not really. In looking at my list of Milwaukee BIGBY species recorded so far, I'm thinking I'll be hard pressed to come up with six new species. Looks like I'm going to have to come up with some interesting raptors, gulls, or shorebirds. Or maybe we'll be blessed with a few interesting northern species yet this winter.

Good birding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment